Stay Connected through Family Sponsorship Program

Family Sponsorship

Owing to its commitment of keeping families together, the Canadian Government has a generous immigration policy of allowing permanent residents and citizens to sponsor their family members for permanent residence through the Family Sponsorship programs, especially at times when citizens/permanent residents have their dependent children abroad. The family member can be a spouse, common law partner, parents, grandparents, children, or relatives who are above 18 years of age. 

However, apart from being a permanent resident or citizen of Canada, the individual sponsoring his or her relatives or family members must demonstrate adequate financial status above the low income cut off threshold. This minimum income shown would depend on the number of members in the sponsors’ family. For instance, if you are sponsoring anyone other than your spouse or common law partner or children, you must show adequate financial stability to prove that you can financially support your immediate family members along with the person and his/her family members whom you are sponsoring.

Given below is the table showing minimum income requirements of the sponsor depending on the size of his or her family members:

Number of Family Members Annual Income
1 (Only the sponsor) $26000
2 $32898
3 $40444
4 $49106
5 $55694
6 $62814
7 $69934
More than 7, for each additional person $7120

In case the sponsor is not able to prove financial accountability, his/her spouse can act as a co-signer by providing a proof of their combined income meeting the financial requirement.

Moreover, the individual must not be involved in any of the below given conditions which bars him or her from sponsoring any family member or relatives:

  1. Involved in any criminal or offensive acts in Canada and jailed for the same.
  2. Staying in Canada on a temporary visa (work permit, study permit, or visitor visa).
  3. Failed to repay an existing immigration loan, family support payments ordered by the court or a performance bond.
  4. Declared bankruptcy for the current and previous financial year.
  5. Received or currently receiving social assistance for any reason other than disability.

Canadian immigration laws support the given types of sponsorship:

  • Outside of Canada Sponsorship: It is possible for a sponsor residing outside Canada to apply for an outland application wherein the sponsored person can travel to and from Canada during the application process. An outland application is processed by the visa offices of the applicant’s country of origin or residence for at least a year.
  • Inland Sponsorship: A couple residing in Canada with one of the partners having a temporary visa status (work, student or permit) can apply for inland sponsorship for the latter. The sponsored person is also eligible to apply for an open work permit during his/her course of application.